Monday, March 12, 2012

Why? Because They're AWESOME!

This weekend lent itself to scrappy, get-dirty-or-go-home picking and I had a B-L-A-S-T!

Favorite find: Industrial textile spools. Why? Because they're AWESOME!

This is where my intuition takes over and I see possibility in the unexpected. I am also incredibly attracted to repetition and when I saw a number of these beauties piled up I knew I had to make them mine...so they could be [yours].

I was with Lea, Alice and our great buddy Blair. I got facial question marks but insisted they were worth it. We crunched some numbers, I practiced my best bargaining and set out to make a deal.

I bought as many as I could afford and they're coming soon to the booth at Paris on Ponce. A little clean up + some creative and suggestive displaying will suit them well.

Yet another find that I'll have a hard time letting go...

Yummy, yummy gnarly repetition:
The shoe? That's for perspective: ~9 inches tall
Repetition = happiness.
So how were they used originally?

Well they are large spools for thread used on industrial sewing machines. They're still made today. These are at least well-used if not actually vintage. And...*ahem*...I like to think the people who have touched them were paid well and treated fairly. But get hung up on that and we'd have nothing in our homes...so there's that buzz-kill.

So how are people up-cycling these beauties?

Think: hat  / wine / pot racks...book ends + I want to hang scarves, pearls, dog leashes and / or robes on them. And last but not least - ART! Had I a brick wall in my home, I'd cover it with these. The possibilities are so so fun. Can't wait to sell them one precious spool at a time...or if you'd like to purchase 6 dozen at a time, that'd be just fine too.


L <3 V E  L <3 V E  L <3 V E  L <3 V E  L <3 V E  L <3 V E  L <3 V E  L <3 V E  L <3 V E  L <3 V E

3 comments:

  1. I want some! I'd love to have a coat rack or rack for scarves made out of these. Love the colors. You know how to pick 'em.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love these things. My father managed a textile mill for many years and your pics remind me of him. I have one spool and I use it as a holder for chunky candles. I will definitely need to get some of these from you!

    ReplyDelete